CATHEDRAL HIGH SCHOOL
CLASS OF '84
"ZODIAC PROJECT CHOICE LIST"
Cathedral School Alumni Association
1. An SRA kit - The SRA Kit is an educational and skill building instructional tool used to improve student
learning abilities in the areas of language arts, math, reading, phonics, developmental skill and phonics. The SRA
Kit provides a valuable learning experience to students. The material is targeted to encourage students to strive to
achieve the best of their potential.
1. To improve the quality of education in the school.
2. To help improve students’ reading, math, phonics, and language art skills.
3. To teach specific skills that help students succeed on standardized tests.
2. Props, costumes, etc. for the Drama Club – Students at CCS have expressed a great interest in the
performing arts. They have begun to play a key role at the end of the school year’s celebration. This attire and
equipment will be used to accomplish the goal of the drama club.
1. To encourage performing arts within the school.
2. To provide equipment and costumes for the students of the drama club.
3. Sports uniforms - CCS will continue to encourage sports activities in the school. CCS students have
expressed interest in many sports – basketball, soccer, volleyball, kickball, table tennis, etc. – and have requested a
change in the school sports uniform. The last uniform provided to the school was a donation given by members of
CSAA in 2004.
1. To encourage students to participate in sports and boost pride in the school.
2. To provide uniforms for the teams
$ 500 per team
4. Book drive – CSEF, the implementation arm of the National Association, has helped CCS restock its library
shelves, so that the school now has two libraries – one for the upper grades and one for the elementary level. Books
at all levels are appreciated, as well as sets of encyclopedias. By soliciting books from family and friends, and or
taking advantage of local library sales, this project can benefit a great number of people at little cost, other than
shipping the books.
1. To increase the current library books capacity, thereby promoting literacy.
2. To provide opportunity to students to have access to books on different subjects.
$ No cost associated with this project.
5. Educational software library or an educational video series – The CSEF has provided audiovisual equipment
to CCS in the form of computers, a DVD player and a VCR. Backup equipment is always welcome. In addition,
educational videos/DVDs as well as entertaining films suitable for various age groups would be welcome to build up
the video library, and educational software is also needed.
1. To equip old and new library with the necessary audiovisual equipment and latest technology for the students.
2. To provide opportunities to students to have access to view training materials on CD, DVD, tapes and books
on tapes on different subjects/topics.
6. RJS teacher training fund - Science teacher training – The RJS Fund, through the implementation of CSEF,
provided the first all teachers training workshop in August 2006. In a recent visit made by the National President, Mr.
Nah, it was reported that some of the instructional science equipment sent by the Association through the
Educational Foundation over the years was not used due to a lack of knowledge about the equipment among the
science teachers. CSEF, through the RJS Fund, has pledged to address this serious concern to work with the school
administration on plans to correct this area of deficiency. In a request, CSEF encouraged alumni to assist through
donations, individually or collectively to the Foundation.
1. To provide a training workshop for 20 science instructors from grades K thru 12.
2. To improve the school science program.
3. To encourage utilization of the science equipment.
7. Provision of writing materials for students – Most families in Liberia are financially strapped in the aftermath of
the civil war. Sometimes even providing pens and pencils for their children is a challenge. One project could be to
have pencils and/or pens (or copybooks) printed with the school name that would be distributed to the students.
1. To give some token of encouragement to each student from the alumni.
2. To instill a sense of pride among Cathedral students for their school.
$ 220 for 1,500 pencils
See http://www.amsterdamprinting.com/Item/BIC+ROUND+STIC+PEN/02900/Default.aspx for pens